- How long does this take?
- What is InterLibrary loan?
- Who can use ILLiad?
- Is it free?
- I’m having issues- what should I try first?
- How will I be notified?
- Can I renew?
- What are the limits?
- How does this work if I'm a distance education student?
How long does this take?
It takes anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks to receive materials through Interlibrary Loan (ILL). Please consider this before ordering.
What is InterLibrary loan?
Interlibrary loan is to used borrow items that are not owned by WNCLN (the Western North Carolina Library Network which is ASU, UNCA, and WCU).
If you need an item that is owned within the WNCLN, use ABC. If you need help, talk to the Circulation Services Desk (828 262-2818) or use the chat icon on the libray’s home page. More about ABC Requests. If a book is checked out, you can call the Circulation Desk (828) 262- 2818 and ask for a HOLD to be placed on the item. Note: Checked out items are subject to RECALL after 21 days.
Who can use ILLiad?
Appalachian State University faculty, staff, and students are eligible to use the Interlibrary Loan Service. If you are a community user, the public library also provides interlibrary loan service.
Is it free?
Although this service is free of charge to you, there are costs incurred by the Library. Be responsible and use judiciously. If an item is lost, your ASU account will be charged total replacement costs.
I’m having techincal issues- what should I try first?
First, try another browser. The ILLiad system works best in Firefox or Internet Explorer. If problems persist, call (828) 262-2826, or use the chat icon on the library’s homepage.
How will I be notified?
- Photocopies of journal articles will be mailed directly to the address listed. They are yours to keep.
- Articles delivered via the Web will remain accessible to you 15 days after notification has been sent to you of their arrival or until you delete the email, whichever occurs first.
- Books/Microformats: Notification of the arrival of books and other materials for loan will be made to your Appalachian State University assigned email address as well as via any email address you have indicated in your ILLiad account.
FACULTY have the option of having materials delivered to their departments. (See Delivery of Library Materials to Faculty Departments for more information about this service.)
[Tip: Do not remove the yellow strap from the material. When the item is returned, the strap alerts staff to the item's source and avoids accruing fines if the materials do not make it back to the lending library on time.]
Can I renew?
Yes, if you contact the ILL Office (828) 262-2826 at least 4 days prior to the due date on the yellow strap.
What are the limits?
- Undergraduates and Staff have a limit of 10 active requests
- Graduate students have a limit of 20 active requests
- Faculty have a limit of 30 active requests
A request is “active” upon submission. Once a request for a book (or other item) is checked out to you, it remains active until the item is returned. If the item is delivered electronically, the article remains active until you have deleted it out of your ILLiad account. You can download the article to a computer or flash drive.